Silvio Travaglia – Mount Cero, Euganei
45cm x 35cm (frame excluded) – oil on panel, 1950s
Born in Monselice (Padua) on 11 October 1880, died in Padua on 3 December 1970. When he was sixteen he moved to Venice to attend the Academy of Fine Arts where he became a pupil of Guglielmo Ciardi and found himself in a friendly union with Emma and Beppe Ciardi, Ugo Valeri, with the Romanian Aiescu, with the sculptor Gianatasio and with the Paduan Antonio Soranzo with whom he carried on a deep friendship destined to last a lifetime.
He teaches at the Este School of Art, within which he establishes a special course for industrial design; later he participates in the war and once the parenthesis has passed, during which the family takes refuge in Tuscany due to the retreat of Caporetto, lives in Sacile, accepting the teaching post at the Teaching Institute; professorship that he will keep with long and appreciated dedication. Valent musical composer as well as painter, author of numerous suites for large orchestra (Sinfonietta Goldoniana, Vendemmiale, Mysterious Venice, and others).
He presents his pictorial activity in Verona, Turin, Padua, Wiesbaden, Berlin, San Paolo, New York, Philadelphia. In particular, the personal exhibitions he held in Sao Paulo in Brazil, and in Milan in 1966 at the Cairola Gallery, were of notable success. From 1922 to 1935 he created numerous works of sacred decoration, collaborating with his brother-in-law Antonio Soranzo; we remember: the altarpiece of Santa Teresa in the church of San Luca in Padua; the decorations on the ceilings of the parish churches of Camin, Chiesanuova, Mestrino, Saletto, Montagnana, in the province of Padua.
In collaboration with Laurenti, he created the decoration of the well-known Sala dell’Albergo Storione, in Padua; work that was destroyed. He was a landscape painter, intuitive and in admiring amazement in front of the beauties of nature, which he expressed with gentleness and genuinely listening to his own inner needs.